Renovating or Building New in Brisbane?
I design both new homes and renovations but given the choice, I believe renovations consistently produce a better result for my clients in terms of overall value and liveability.
Yet so many people that I speak with feel like renovating will somehow give them a lesser result, but nothing could be further from the truth.
The challenge with building a new home in Brisbane
Today it’s almost impossible to find a block in the city, or even the inner suburbs, where you can demolish an existing home and build a brand new one. And even if you could find a block to build a new home on, chances are if it’s close to the city the block won’t be flat – meaning an ‘off the shelf’ home design isn’t going to be suitable. You will need to have your home designed by an architect to get the best result. But if there is already a home on the block, why not take a look at its potential first?
Why I prefer renovating to building new
There are many reasons why I lean towards renovating, here are my top five reasons:
- More cost effective – Ok this isn’t always the case, but if the existing home is in good condition, it’s often cheaper to renovate than it is to build from scratch, particularly if you have to demolish an existing structure first.
- Bigger and better – If the bulk of the existing home is suitable and simply needs to be renovated with possibly an addition or extension, your budget can suddenly go from an average sized new home into a stunning, much larger renovated home that will be the envy of all who see it.
- Character and soul – Many existing homes, particularly those closer into the city, have character and charm that many new homes don’t. And whilst I can create a new home design for you that will have ample character and soul, renovating means much of this character is already built in.
- Greater flexibility – Renovating gives you more flexibility in terms of where you can live. Because you are not demolishing and building new, you can live as close to, or as far away from the city as you want.
- No need for compromise – In my vast experience you will get a better result from renovating in most cases without missing out on the good things in life. Your newly renovated home will be just as modern and well appointed as a new home, often with more space and more character. In fact, it is often those that build new homes that find they need to compromise.
It’s your decision
But before you make that decision ask yourself which option is going to give you the better lifestyle outcome? And which will give you a greater return on your investment should you decide to sell in the future?
Obviously the answers to these questions vary depending on your circumstances, but in my experience as a Brisbane architect of long standing, renovating gives a much better outcome in nine out of ten cases. If you’re thinking about building new, or renovating an existing home, call me today on (07) 3899 9450 and let me help you explore all the options.