Architects Hawthorne – Workers Cottage Renovation 050802
dion seminara architecture, Hawthorne Workers Cottage Renovation
These renovations were designed to enhance the existing charm of this 1910 character home and deal with the busy road frontage. The renovation created a home with 5 bedrooms, a study, 2 living areas, 3 bathrooms, a double garage and large entertainment deck.
The first floor was reorganised in order to relocate the kitchen to the southern/rear end of the home. The living areas were also moved to the rear of the home creating a greater indoor-outdoor relationship between these spaces and the deck. A new pavilion-style extension enables this home to capitalise on the wonderful views at the back of the house. The roof line over the deck needed to be cleaned up to visually improve the indoor-outdoor connection. The extension includes a new main bedroom, ensuite and walk-in robe.
The client’s requirements included
1. Creating a bathroom with a separate bath and a new kitchen.
2. A new fence with retaining walls to the rear section which would also act as a noise barrier.
3. Landscaping to enhance the total appeal of the home.
4. A separate fence to be included around the pool so a recreation garden area is available.
5. Solar heating for the pool.
6. A deeper double garage to create a workshop space.
7. Relocating the main entrance to the property off the side street.
8. Internal stairs to a new ground floor level where the fifth bedroom is to be located as a guest bedroom with bathroom and separate laundry.
9. Locating a media room/ entertainment room under new pavilion-style extension.
Hawthorne History and Architecture
Hawthorne is about 4 kilometres east of the Brisbane City Centre. In the 1860’s Hawthorne was a farming district. It was gradually subdivided over time as Brisbane got larger. Today Hawthorne has many grand old Queenslanders and workers cottages that have been lovingly restored, renovated and extended. There are also many new luxury homes.
Contact us today to be part of the future architecture of Hawthorne.
Contact dion seminara architecture now to begin your project.